Tuesday 10 August 2010

Top ten picks: favourite books of all time

Top ten picks is an original meme hosted by random bookish ramblingswhere she picks a topic and makes a list. This weeks is favourite books of all time here's her list:  http://randombookishramblings.blogspot.com/2010/07/top-ten-picks-favorite-books-of-all.html

And now on to my little list:

1) The Bronzehorseman by Paullina Simons:  I adore this book - for me it's the ultimate love story - there's the tragedy of war, the pain of forbidden love, the threat of death.  It truely is an epic.  I stumbled upon this book by accident, I just happened to pick it up in a book shop and couldn't decide whether I wanted to read it or not. 

2) Tomorrow when the war began by John Marsden:  I read this book when I was in high school and kept coming back to it time and time again.  It's set in Australia and is kind of a what if story about the country being invaded and a group of teenagers being the only ones not captured. 

3) The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks:  Mr Sparks wrote about a kind of love and relationship I could only dream of having.  The book literally made me swoon.

4)  Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen:  I first read this book when I was about twelve years old after seeing the mini-series on tv.  I just adored Lizzie, she was independent, fierce and knew what she wanted from life.  She didn't want to marry out of convenience or for stability but for the promise of true love and she wouldn't settle for anything less.

5) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: The only novel Lee ever published was sensational for it's time.  It brought into question racial divide and was told through the eyes of a child.  It really questions the concepts of innocence and guilt.

6) Stephen King's The Shining:  Scares the heck out of me everytime but that's what makes it so great.  Honey, I'm hoommme.

7) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl:  Roald Dahl was a genius pure and simple.  I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a kid.  What kid didn't?  Who wouldn't want to be Charlie and meet Willie Wonka and inherit a chocolate factory?

8)  The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory:  This book is what started my slight obsession with Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn and their love which turned to hate.

9) Alice in Wonderland:  What more needs to be said?

10)  The Catcher in the Rye:  The ultimate bad boy rebel without a cause story - not as shocking now but for it's time it sure was.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the Notebook is just lovely. I will get to Stephen King's Shining one day.

    Great varied list.

    ReplyDelete